Friday, February 8, 2013

Max Sat Up!

So.. not only is Mr. Max working on his standing and walking skills these day, but he also just woke up from a nap (see below) and sat up on his own and looked around and then focused in on me.. then went back to sleep. This is the first time (That I've witnessed - he may do it at night b/c I find him starring at me quite a bit after he repeatedly clears his throat until I wake up) that I've seen him do it!

He also barked yesterday loud enough that he could be heard on the other side of the house!   Super Max is still coming along... side muscles are getting stronger - it's amazing how many muscles will atrophy and you have to build them up... #1 recommendation for anyone dealing with a bed bound, or stroke patient pup... if they can't physically move on their own.. definitely do range of motion as much as you can every day and try to do any sort of resistance with them - even if it's just pushing  - Nobody explained to me how extremely important this was  - although maybe nobody knew..  - other than a human physical therapist.. and what I had been doing prior was not enough.. Every few hours Max stands up and practices taking steps on his own or even just balancing on his own. Now I can see him standing in his cart with his legs wider apart vs. crossing like he used to - his hips are getting back in place..  The other thing that I've noticed is the muscle atrophy  above his left eye is lessening. His vet saw this too..  (He's trying to sit up again and just wagged his tail!)



1 comment:

  1. Bless you both.
    I had a girl named, Sadie. She loved her wheels. I feel your heart.

    ReplyDelete