Monday, March 12, 2012

Jamestown VA with Max and the Gang

Sunday was a gorgeous March Day so we decided to take the dogs to Historic Jamestown Virginia to check out the old ruins and see what the archaeologists were digging up..

While we were out walking around we saw a big herd of geese!  Buster #2 wanted to chase them... and Max wanted to herd Buster #2!  See video below!



The path along Jamestown Island

Looks like a big old oak fell down

Max letting us know we're moving too slow.. he's doing laps around us!

Max gets a little freedom to walk off leash and check out the ruins at Historical Jamestown Settlement (c 1630-1700's)

Checking out more ruins




Max got put back on leash after deciding to follow herd a couple of tourists that walked in the other direction.. He tried to corral them, then when they kept walking in the opposite direction he tried to nip them in the knees... (always on the job...)


Back off leash.. in someone's living room at Jamestown, VA

Exploring someone's back yard..

Max once found a large herd of deer to chase here!

Do you really need to be in my face?

That's it.. back up a bit more...


again... right in my face.. what did I say about that?

I'm going to walk with these people.. they aren't in my face.. I see the Jamestown church and the fort!

Max is now making a Bee Line for the church gates.. and PULLING! (note - no other dogs in the shot.. he's leading the way.. )

Come on you people.. you're holding me up!

Check out the architecture people... Look at those windows!

This is where they are digging. I'd like to be an archaeologist.. I'd be good!

Hmm... a new family to explain archaeology to..

Ok forget them.. #2 did you know that that is John Smith over there? He first settled Jamestown Colony. I believe he married Pocahontus too.. We would have taken a picture with her but there were too many kids there.
This is where they burried everyone who died during "The Starving Time" in Jamestown. They were actually burried under the floors of their houses... so I guess houses used to be here..

I'm having so much fun!  Do you see the ruins of the old Jamestown Settlement Church behind me? and John smith to the right of me?

I WANT TO GO IN THE WATER... got to get those things sticking out of the water.. come on #2 - help me pull Mom down the hill!

ARGGGG I'm at the end of my rope... I must pull harder

Fine - you win... Here's another shot of me and the inside of the Fort they built at Jamestown Colony to try and protect themselves from Chief Powhatan and the Indians

I win! Walking along the Sea wall on the James River... I promise I won't go swimming today... (Don't try this in person.. The water is very deep once you get to the bottom of the sea wall and the current is very strong - Max has been known to chase a duck or goose or other critter down the wall and into the water and then needed to be pulled back up .. )

Will you all please keep up?!

I'd like to show you a cannon like the ones they brought over on their ships when the colonists settled in Jamestown Settlement. In front of me is the frame of the old barracks.

Isn't this just the best view?  I LOVE IT HERE!

Max exploring the barracks.. those are colonial style orange cones ahead..

Did you know this wall has holes to let the breeze blow through in the summer and so that the settlers could keep an eye out and make sure they were safe?  They could stuff it with mud and hay if they wanted to make a solid wall.

Heading over to the cemetery and the old Jamestown Church

This a way #2.. I'll show you the way

The whole gang in the church... I think we confused people but Dogs can go to church too you know.. Dog is God spelled backwards... I believe there's a reason for that!

Max checking out Jamestown Church...

That plaque on the back wall has some names on it of mom's ancestors. Lots of history in this place..

This is a cool church!

Back outside, we found a nice shady holly tree to hang out under



Is that you in my face again?

Today couldn't be any prettier

Follow me #2 I'll show you more ruins here at Jamestown!

This way gang - looks like a good shady spot under those trees

Wonder what we can find here!

I wonder who lived here!

Rex .. are you pretending to be a cow or a goat?

What a nice yard!

I see water... catch you guys later!

What?  You called?   Ok.. I'll wait..

I'll check out this one last building... They don't call me "The Inspector" for no reason!

I'm going to catch you #2!!!!

Heading back to the car.. what a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment