Monday, July 9, 2012

2 New tricks in a day!

I don't normally post so much but Mr. Max has been on a roll today!  Not only did he start turning his head to the right this morning... but tonight, while he was working out and doing his left sided push ups.. (we really need to get that right side in shape)  He started to use his tail as leverage, or maybe it's balance???  to try and move himself around.

Now I'm really really excited about this!  His head and his tail both starting to move on the same day.. but I quickly found out that this could be a problem, as Max scooched himself back and further back and actually backed over his feeding tube, got it stuck under him and kept trying to scooch back further and started to pull it out!!!  I'm going to need to figure out how to tape it to his back! I'm still wondering if all the activity of this weekend is helping to get him moving again. He went on a road trip and has been bounced all over the place and flipped and twisted and flopped... Anyway - he's something else... that Maxy Boy!!!  I do have to say here that there are days where he just looks like he's done.  Yesterday was one of those days.. Dr. Lord asked me the other day if I was noticing any patterns which I'm grateful she did. I have started to notice he's more aware and active every other day.. One day he's "on" and working hard, and the next day he looks like he's going to cash in his chips .. and the very next day he's stronger than he was 2 days ago.. Every so often it'll take 2 off days and then a good on day.  He seems to learn a new trick - be it a small trick every week and a half to two weeks.. hopefully we'll start seeing more and more.  It's SLOW... being at home and taking care of him, it's definitely SLOW... but it's still progress and when he's working I see him working SO hard, I just have to give him a chance. He's definitely a super dog and aside from my impatience with the speed he's progressing, this has been a lot easier than I even thought it was going to be as far as Max going to the bathroom, feeding, medicine, etc..   The first few days were really tough - but once I got the whole feeding tube thing down and stopped spray painting the walls, windows, ceiling, myself, and anyone else around with pureed Wuruvu   it became a whole lot easier!  Max now spends a good hour or so sitting on my lap every day while I watch TV.. his rear end is on my leg with his legs hanging down and he props up on his elbos on my other leg (my leg by his back legs has to be lower so he doesn't aspirate anything from his tummy) and then he rests his head in the crux of my arm, and he gets coupaged, pet and snuggled with.  The other dogs have started to come around him more and more too. He doesnt' have his facecloth in his mouth any more either.. I had to give him a face cloth to grit in his teeth last week becasue he had pierced his tongue with his teeth in 4 places. He had the face cloth in his mouth for about 4-5 days. The holes have actually healed up!  He has a few nibs out of the side of his tongue but all in all.. not too bad, and he has more control over his jaw and his head so he's more gentle when he's opening and closing his mouth. He's yawning too and cleaning his face when his nose runs. Today was also the first day that his nose has been cold and wet and not dry and crusty!!!  I know the prednisone will dry him out too, so I was chalking it up to that.. and was kind of surprised at the cold wet nose! Anyway - had to share!

No comments:

Post a Comment